Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2023

My First Carl Barks


I decided to become a cartoonist last year, so I started reading some old "animal" comic strips and books for study and enjoyment. I've already tried out Walt Kelly and George Herriman (the latter is funnier than the former, but I love former's characters better).

For my birthday I got one of the billion volumes of reprints of Carl Bark's Disney comic books from Fantagraphics. I had asked for Vol. 24: The Golden Nugget Boat at random, not knowing why there was no Volume One. Unfortunately, this was made up of the Sixties stuff, which is apparently The Good Duck Artist's low point of creativity.


I was a little confused with the stories, even though I liked them. First of all, they weren't in character. Donald was kind of a blank; no tantrums or anything. Huey, Dewey, and Louie weren't sadistic and were kind-of sidekicks. The stories were more of the Silver Age Superman variety than cartoony frolics. Were they all like this?

I had some problems with Fantagraphics handling of some of this, as I discussed in the last post. Overall, though, I enjoyed it, and hope to collect more. I also hope to learn from it!

4 comments:

  1. Donald Duck cartoons and Carl Barks comics are entirely different. The Carl Barks universe should be seen as separate from the cartoons. The late 40's thru mid 50's stories may be the most memorable, but there's plenty to like in the later books. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently perusing the latest volume, "Maharajah Donald", which collects stories from the mid-Forties, and it might be more to your liking. This was when Barks drew Donald with a tiny head and long neck so he already looks funny, and he has that nasty temperament you were expecting. Give it a try, if you're able.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment, even if it takes awhile.

Absolutely no hard language.