Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2024

Depressed About Pogo Volume 4, Among Other Things

(Two articles that were supposed to be published in March and April have been published: one on Golden Age DVDs and another a review of The TOON Treasury of Classic Children's Comicsnull. Check 'em out!)

A quick note: in previous articles I have criticized the erratic schedule of the Pogo series, but have recently found out two editors happened to die of cancer, explaining why it has taken so long. I apologize for my rashness. But, apparently, they have reached the point where searching for "scarce" source material is no longer a problem, so why is Volume 9 delayed until July 2025?


But anyway, I recently bought Pogo Volume 3. Though a fine book, it is the absolute worst regarding annotations. About half of them are not reported by Mr. Harvey, including a few references that I already knew, but others may not. The annotation in the series is exceptionally poor, but I would rather have that than anachronistic commentary! 

The actual content was as funny as ever. I particularly thought Kelly's satire of both sides of the Red Scare was great. It is also a subject of fascination for me, as a fellow artist, who does not possess the acid political satire gene. As funny as it is, I would have preferred Kelly be a little more subtle with it. As I've mentioned before, the political irony of films like High Noon (the blacklist) and Kelly's Heroes (Vietnam) is a lot more powerful because it isn't totally obvious; the subtext is concealed. I think if Simple J. Malarkey (Red Baiters) and Cowbirds (Soviets) were less obvious, it would be a lot more powerful. Those who agree with either of them would feel silly when they realize what they are laughing at.


Strangely, Mark Evanier's in-book bio of Kelly there praises the political commentary to the heavens, but at least Kelly wasn't a bluenose about it like Evanier is, whose blog is almost entirely political. 


When I went to look at Pogo Volume 4, I was shocked to see it is now in the hundreds! And it's the same elsewhere! What's going on? The Fantagraphics website says it's out of stock. It can be bought as a collection packaged with Volume 3 (which I already have) for seventy dollars, which is too much for one book. It's especially piss-worthy because if I end up buying Volume 5 this June I'll have to read out-of-order, ruining the chronological groove.


Sadly, I did never get around to buying Collector's Choice Vol. 3. I never noticed before, but the lone-two-star review the lone-two-star review says there's some double-dipping (repeats from other collections) on it, which is disappointing--but why complain? For me, would you rather have none at all? Well, since there is double-dipping, they should've double-dipped the two McCabes on the Golden Collection with added music but, as I've stated before, Jerry Beck apparently hates his cartoons.

But that's all for now! More is coming, including a sad story...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Superman,

    You know RC Harvey is dead right? It was a very tragic death two years ago. Its been difficult for only Mark Evanier and Gary Groth to continue the work as their 5 collaborators have all passed away. Speaking of Evanier, why does it matter what he posts on his blog? Furthermore is that Kelly was considered the most political of all comic strip artists of his time, which proves you still don't understand anything.

    As for the Looney Tunes set (something that's actually about the golden age of animation instead of whining), the review neglects to mention how the shorts were unrestored on previous releases or (in RIFF RAFFY's case) poorly done. The fact you need to highlight Jerry's specific thoughts on a director's cartoons without evidence gives me the impression you live for the drama rather then just the cartoons. The fact you are going by a single two star review rather than the 97% that is four and five stars says everything

    While I'm at it, thanks for the ego stroke on the Very Angry post. Made me feel so good I didn't want to talk to the manchild again until now!

    -WallCreeker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unaware of Harvey's death. I am sorry to hear it. But it does not make terrible research forgivable. Would you avoid criticizing Plan 9 From Outer Space because Ed Wood is dead?

      Kelly was political in a different way: he was criticizing both Red-Baiters and Communists, exposing them as silly histrionic morons. Evanier just focuses on one side and rants about it night and day. I just want to read about comic books.

      Your hypocrisy is showing like toilet paper sticking out of your pants in saying I shouldn't be concerned with Evanier's pointless politicking while you attack me for talking about non-Golden Age topics! Wow!

      How did I go by one review? I was criticizing the guy for complaining. Maybe you should wipe the blood out of your eyes before pissing on me. Additionally, the link provided has where I offered Beck's dislike of McCabe. Guess you're screaming before you think.

      Your welcome for the ego stroke! It let the whole world know what a trolling, mannerless nut you are! And if you hate my blog, by all means, S T A Y A W A Y.

      As the message under the header states, any more comments like this one you just did and I will delete it immediately. Knowing you, you will pull out a strawman that I'm "censoring" criticism, but I am really preventing an uncivil lunatic from using my blog to personally insult me. List your complaints in a normal way and I will gladly keep them. Otherwise, stay away from me, stalker.

      Delete

I try to answer every comment, even if it takes awhile.

Absolutely no hard language.