Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Why Public Domain Spells Bad News For the Future

A quick post. I've been busy with artistic projects, mainly a comic book, so I'll be less a monster poster, but I'm still blogging. I ain't retiring this thing any time soon.

I am genuinely surprised that the majority of the Cartoon Cult is actually happy about the public domain news on Mickey. I guess the reason is that people want the Thunderbean Blu-Ray of Disney cartoons since the early ones have never received a restoration in the last decade. And I must be a heretic, because I don't agree. Says Sean Dudley on Cartoon Research:

Here is the virtolic reaction from the IADB's resident Disney hater, either John K. or Marc Eliot in disguise:

Ah, I love balanced commentary!

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you need to think of the scary possibilities here:

In the fast-approaching 2030s, the early Donald and Daffy and Bugs are next. And let's move outside of just cartoons. According to a Grunge article, Superman goes public domain in 2033, and Batman 2034 (I really don't want to imagine what these two will go through...together.)

There is something I don't understand about all this: For example, Lyons Partnership, the intellectual owners of Barney the Dinosaur, has lost lawsuits because a "parody" is not breaking copyright. Well, isn't Mickey's Mouse Trap a parody?

So, the point being, the future is a scary place, so the next post will be an escapist view, unless something else in the news turns up.

1 comment:

  1. Hans Christian BrandoFebruary 9, 2024 at 1:42 PM

    If Shakespeare and Beethoven can handle being public domain, so can Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment, even if it takes awhile.

Absolutely no hard language.