Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2024

First Preview for The Day the Earth Blew Up and a New Donald Duck Short

There have been two exciting things in the animation world!

Last November I reported that a Looney Tunes movie is supposed to come out soon. Well just a few days ago we got a preview:

Looks pretty funny. That Daffy "crack" gag seemed a little un-Looney Tunes, but it was funny, and that's point, right?

I was slightly disappointed it was flash animated, when it was said to be "fully" animated all those months back. But it sure isn't Clutch Cargo!

Another duck got center stage recently. Donald turned ninety on the Ninth (fittingly), so a new short came out called D.I.Y. Duck. At three minutes, it is directed by modern-day legend Mark Henn, and is his final project. It reminded me a lot of The Looney Tunes Show episode "The Shelf", but I don't think it was a ripoff--it was more Donaldesque.

It was pretty good. It is far more respectful to the source material than 2013's Get A Horse! was, which a friend of mine refers to as being "arbitrary" throwback animation--accurately. It's set up like the 1950s Disney cartoons but with a contemporary setting, which I always like.

Henn was always a great talent. His animation of Mickey Mouse softly crying at Tiny Tim's grave in Mickey's Christmas Carol is one of my favorite pieces of animation ever. It's up there with Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.

The fact that the short was traditional made it even better. It did do a thing I don't like: reused music and voices. But overall it was worth my time.

Of the two, I guess I found the preview funniest but D.I.Y. Duck was a great throwback to Disney, which is deader nowadays than any other style.

2 comments:

  1. "Of the two, I guess I found the preview funniest but D.I.Y. Duck was a great throwback to Disney, which is deader nowadays than any other style."
    What are you talking about, man? Disney style still has a huge influence in the animation industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I meant that the older Disney style is not really "thrownback" to as much as other styles. For example, Clampettian style is much more referenced nowadays.

      Delete

I try to answer every comment, even if it takes awhile.

Absolutely no hard language.