Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Golden Age Cartoon DVD Collections I Embarrassingly Don't Have

What with Collector's Choice Vol. 3 being announced, I may as well reveal my darkest secret: there are a few essential cartoon DVDs I don't own!

Most of them are because of price. A lot are more expensive than the gun that killed Lincoln, so I have to balance out how much I'm willing to spend or ask for for my birthday or Christmas. Also I've mostly turned towards building up my animal comics collection, which is more helpless. Also, I have a life outside of cartoons!

I have a pretty good representation of Looney Tunes, mainly all of the Golden Collection and Super Stars, among others. Of the A studios, the Warners stuff is the worst series, being mostly jumbled and occasionally random.

The only cartoon DVD collection that I have complete is the easiest to do, and that is pre-1958 MGM. I have all of the Spotlight Collection and the Screwball Classics, as well as the Droopy one-shot. (I have the Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry DVD but not the Jones one. I actually like the former a lot, but that's for another time.)

Disney is still not complete. I just have a few of the features and seven of the Treasures. The Treasures are the 20th Century version of The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire; they are priceless. Even the worst is a classic. Bravo, the late Roy E.!

I have both volumes of the dead-too-soon Woody Woodpecker and Friends collection, which turned me onto my obsession with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, heightened by the Disney ones, too. They're pretty good. All that's missing are commentaries, and that's a minor quibble compared to the great amount on the rest. Plus, you can't sell much with Paul J. Smith, which is all that they have left!

That's really it. I don't have any Thunderbeans or anything like that because my main interest in animation is the A studios, so I'm not banging down any doors for a Betty Boop or a Popeye. I will bang down a door for a Mighty Mouse, though!

Well, the ugliest first: Porky Pig: 101. I can't seem to find any way to get this baby. Currently on Amazon it is forty dollars. And for only a few black-and-white Porkys?

I have been trying for a while to get the Jolly Frolics DVD, which is the only UPA cartoons of goodness, in my humble opinion. TCM doing a cartoon DVD is pretty cool, now breaking the barrier between "cartoon" and "film".

Warners has screwed most everybody by selling a Blu-Ray-only called the Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection, packaged with a sparkly POP! Funko, making it impossible to get. Thankfully, all these years later, it's down to forty dollars, so someday it's more likely I'll have that baby.

The most recent here is the Platinum Collection. I'm not obsessed with getting it solely because I get the impression it is only 30% "new-on-DVD".

So that's my confession. What's my penance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to answer every comment, even if it takes awhile.

Absolutely no hard language.